Wow, what a week I'm having, it's brilliant. I went back to painting live at Gallery 150 yesterday, after a week's holiday, and found out that both of my paintings had sold. I was also lucky enough to meet both of the buyers which made my day, week, fortnight, year!! I was so excited yesterday that I forgot to take a photo of the work that I had done, so ended up missing a day.
I think I have almost finished this painting now, I have just got to mess it up a bit as it looks a bit to pristine. So expect some blobs of fat and bits of tomatoe and juice around it. I am also struggling a bit with the bacon so have returned it to the start (it looks a bit raw at the moment). I think this is about it's 5th layer now. It is also quite a lot bigger than I normally do and that might be why it's taking me longer.
It's starting to get there now but still got a couple more layers of colour to add. I'm thinking of doing a gingham table cloth behind the plate at the moment, just to make a change from the dark background.
Colours that I am using are: yellow ochre, burnt umber, raw umber, cadium red (hue), alzarin crimson (bacon) and titanium white.
Once again I had a lovely day painting at Gallery 150, Leamington Spa. I really enjoy doing it and meeting so many different, lovely people that come in.
I have started to add colour to the food now and this is the first layer done (only half of the bacon is done at the moment though). The mushrooms are all wrong but I will have another go at them tomorrow. I might have to add a slice of black pudding aswell as there is a gap which is a bit too big on the plate. I had to go and buy a tomato today because I couldn't remember exactly what they looked like, thought it was too hard to do so turned one of them over then managed to get the second one looking like it should anyway. My favourite bit at the moment is the puddle of tomato ketchup.
I had to carry this, on it's plate, all the way through Leamington to the gallery today, what a mess by the time I arrived there. Beans were everywhere, my egg had broken and got followed by a couple of dogs (the animal variety I might add). Still I got there and was able to sort it all out. On this there are 2 mushrooms, 2 halves of tomato, 2 sausages, 1 piece of bacon (not so keen on that), 1 fried egg and some beans. This is just the underpainting, it will be coloured later. I have also got to sort out the plate, I must remember to buy some masking fluid this time.
Another thing that I had to do today, under durress from the Gerry Smith of the gallery 150, was sit outside and paint "plein air". Never ever done that before but it turned out all ok. I think I have to thank Gerry Smith for making me step into the unknown, each time I do it another milestone has been achieved, I feel more able to work in public and my confidence is raised more and more.
My latest offering and the one that I started work on in Gallery 150 on Friday. I also was in Torquay from Friday evening until Monday evening so it hasn't taken as long as it might first seem. I like the berries but I dont like anything else on it.
I started as I always do with the raw umber and titanium white underpainting until I thought that the depth was right. Now I have added the first layer of colour. I have used cadium red (hue) which is a very bright red, almost orange really. I was going to use one of the crimsons but that didn't look quite right.